Where's your GPS?

Sorry, I haven't written in a while. I've probably started a few different posts, but never finished them for one reason or another. Then, summer happened and well, they are called the "lazy days of summer" for a reason.  Recently, I was accepted into Steven University's Adult Undergraduate program. It is also known as School of Graduate and Professional Studies (GPS). GPS is the most common moniker. Since I decided to apply and become a student at SU, I have been somewhat fascinated with the acronym.

When I hear GPS, I automatically think of the device that directs you from point A to point B. Then I thought how appropriate it is for the School of Graduate and Professional Studies to be called GPS. I, like so many adult learners, probably did not know what to do with their life at 18. I didn't have a career in mind when I left high school nor did I think it would take me this long to figure it out. I was carefree and I thought that my life and career would just take care of itself. When it didn't, I was faced with this big world and a plethora of opportunities and choices. They say that your 20s are the road to self discovery and I find that to be particularly true. While my friends were getting married and starting families, I was just trying to find a job that I didn't hate. You may even say, that I was looking for direction and purpose. Without a purpose, we have no direction and when we have no direction, we tend to wander aimlessly into oblivion. I was in need of a GPS.

Being a part of the GPS program makes me very aware that my life does have purpose and I do know which direction I want to take. It may not be easy, and there may be many road blocks ahead, but I know where my point B is. Who says that I needed to go to college at 18 or have my life figured out by 21? To those reading, I am not saying do not go to college at 18. If you know what to do with your life, please go to college. Your life and finances will thank you. To those who may still be trying to figure out their purpose, don't be discouraged. Maybe you just need to turn on the GPS or charge up the battery.

For me, the most important, I know who my GPS is. I know who is directing my path and helping me get to that point B. Without God's help, I'd probably still be wandering or I would have quit when things get hard. In this cynical and unbelieving world, I believe that God loves us and wants us to be happy. He has a plan and a purpose for us. I bet you it is far better than anything we could ever dream up ourselves. How do I know this? Well, i am 32 and in college about to graduate from a community college and beginning to study for my bachelor's degree. That's how I know. I never would have gone to college if I didn't think that God wanted me here or that he has this elaborate plan to take me places I've never been.

So, don't wander aimlessly. Find your GPS. Know that your life and your future is important and worth living well. If you trust your GPS, you may not only get to point B but you will find that having the directions will help you get there faster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Deal With Disappointment

Project 33: 33 Random Acts of Kindness for my 33rd Birthday

Everyday is a New Day