A Dream Awaits

During the week of August 6-10, I had the opportunity to do my very first interpreting job. I received an email from my mentor interpreter about accompanying a nine year old girl to summer camp. It seemed that the church that was going to camp was in need of another interpreter and she emailed me about a week before we were supposed to leave and asked if I could go. I was indeed excited that I was even asked to be an interpreter considering that I am still a student and I am still learning how to be an interpreter. When I read the email and realized it was during the week, my initial reaction was, "Oh no, I can't go - I have to work!" I texted my mom and a good friend of mine about the email I got, and my friend encouraged me to ask my boss if I could take my vacation early (I am not eligible until Oct for vacation). I was a bit nervous about this because how many companies would actually allow an employee take vacation early? I worked up enough courage to ask and surprisingly, he said, "Go! This is what you are studying to be and it is a good opportunity for you." WHOA! I am so incredibly blessed to work for such a company who values their employees and wants them to succeed.

I was nervous when I boarded the van for this trip with the little girl, her Deaf parents, another Deaf counselor, and the other interpreter. I do have a tendoncy when I am nervous to revert to being shy and quiet. However, when you are hanging out with the Deaf community, being shy is not an option. We arrived in Emmittsburg, MD to Lake Summit Campground and we were a little late for a meeting. Now, to give you a little background, I knew nothing about this trip. I didn't know anything about why we were going to be there early nor did I know about the camp ground or the fact it was a Christian camp. As a future interpreter, these are questions that must be answered before going to the job. However, my contact did not respond to my emails and unfortunately, I just didn't know. Lovely. Anyway, we arrive and the other interpreter told me to go stand on the other side of the room. I was experiencing a blonde moment I think, because when he told me this I still had no idea why I was going over there. Then the light bulb went off and I realized he wants me to interpret. Pure panic came over me. I did not know anything, and we walk in this room and he wants me to interpret. WHOA. I signed, NOT READY and while the Deaf thought it was funny, I was scared outta my mind because I didn't know what this meeting was about. Thankfully, he knew and understood that I was new - like a shiny penny off the factory line - and interpreted. He will never know how greatful I am to him for that.

After the meeting Chloe (I changed her name so I won't have to keep calling her "that girl")  and I went to our cabin and chose our bunks. Can I just say that I am NOT a nature living, roughing it kind of person? To me, roughing it is going out of the house without makeup on and now I am sleeping on a bunk bed and sharing a bathroom with second graders. Yay... It really wasn't that bad once I doubled the mattress (if that's what you want to call it). Since we were up in the mountains, the nights were cool. One night, I had to grab two towels out of my bag to go on top of my sheet. The scenery was picturesque and looked like something you would see on a postcard or in the opening scene of a movie. There was a pond where you could go fishing and paddle boating. Behind the pond was the mountains and the bluest sky. That's the kind of nature that I like. I feel close to God when I am in that setting. There is something about being close to the water and realizing there is no way that a "big bang" could have done this and also realizing that this God who created the world and everything in it, cares about me. It is so overwhelming to me.

The day opened and closed with chapel. If you are familiar with Vacation Bible School (VBS), it was like that. You had music, crafts, games, obstacle course, swimming and tons of other activities. Monday night started with our first chapel. The other interpreter and I agreed that I would do the music and he would do the lesson. Those who ran the camp that week were supposed to give the interpreters a copy of the music and lesson, but they didn't and I got up there and did the best I could. Thankfully, the songs had the words on a screen and I could follow along. Thank you technology!  There were certain words in which I had no idea how to sign. As I was signing, I was also thinking how I would sign it again if the phrase of word came back around again. Some songs I recognized and had a general idea about how I would sign it; other songs I was thinking, "You have GOT to be kidding."

After chapel was finished, the other interpreter said, "You did a great job!" I am thinking, "Yeah, right" He said, "I know you don't feel like it, but you really did a good job." The next day, when we did chapel, I even got a compliment from Chloe's mom. That to me was worth more than gold. To get a compliment from a Deaf person was encouraging to me and means a lot. There were ups and downs to the week. Thankfully, more ups than downs. The hardest part of the week I would say was the Talent show. That lasted about 2 1/2 hours and I stood for most of it. Toward the end, I was exhausted and I asked Chloe if I could sit with her and interpret. She wasn't really watching me so she was fine with this arrangement. It was about 11:30 when we got back to our cabin and as hard as my bunk was, I was so happy to go to bed that night.

I love how God works! I always ALWAYS do my best to make sure I see God in the details. People can say what they want about there not being a God or what ever, but I know he is real and I see it every day. When it is something that I want to do, I always say, "God, if this is what you want then let it happen and if it isn't don't let it happen." When God's will happens, then I find in my life that everything just kind of falls into place. It's easy and there aren't any problems or things I have to work out. I also find that when I want something that isn't in my best interest, I have tons of issues and everything is complicated. Funny how that works.

The week went by fast and my first experience as an interpreter was a good one. I learned a lot about what what it takes to be an interpreter and I learned first hand how the hearing world views the Deaf and the role of the interpreter. I have heard stories about how the hearing world really doesn't understand the role of an interpreter, but to experience it was another thing. Unfortunately, this is an all to common problem and one that I hope to educate the world about the importance of interpreters and communication with the Deaf.

I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I hope this is just a taste of what is to come to me as an interpreter. As with any dream, there are bound to be good and bad moments. Moments that will define me and my chosen career. However, as with anything in my life so far, I have learned to solely depend on God. I know I will make mistakes and there will be times when I want to give up, but God has brought me this far and I know He will never give up on me or the plans He has for me. So what about you? What dreams do you have? What have you ALWAYS wanted to do but you feel like you have never had the chance to make it become a reality? It doesn't matter how old, young, rich, or poor you are; what matters is that you have a purpose in life. If you have a dream do not let it go because you think it can't come true or it may be too hard. No one ever achieved their dream because they gave up or they thought they it would be too hard. A dream can only become a reality if you are willing to work for it. Right now, I am laying the ground work. There has been a  lot of blood, sweat, and tears so far in my journey, but I know I could never achieve anything if I wasn't willing to sacrifice to get it.

My dream awaits for me and I can see it in the distance. The journey may not be easy, but I know it will be worth it. Don't let anyone tell you, "You can't," "You shouldn't", or "You're not good enough" You possess within you all that you need to achieve your dream. The question is, will you allow yourself to find out? The choice is yours and yours alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Deal With Disappointment

Everyday is a New Day

Project 33: 33 Random Acts of Kindness for my 33rd Birthday