How Satisfied Are You?

It's funny. When I chose to take a movie history class I didn't expect to be challenged the way I have been. We are only half way through the semester and I thoroughly enjoy this class. My professor, Dr. O, is a great teacher that really makes me think. Of course this class is about movies, but I guess I see it in a much different light.

Last week, he gave us a quote from a former teacher of his: "If you are satisfied with this, then you will never amount to anything." WHOA! Pretty deep for movie class. However, that statement struck me like a ton of bricks.

We should never be satisfied with ourselves or our lives. We should always be striving to make ourselves better. Whether it be going back to school, committing to be healthy, volunteering, or striving to be a better parent or spouse. There is absolutely no reason to stay in the exact same place for the rest of your life doing the same exact thing. If you are, then my speculation is that you are not happy or satisfied with your life.

Secondly, if you are unsatisfied with your life then ask yourself, "Does the world revolve around me?" If the answer that comes to mind is "no" then that is the first step to becoming a better person. But if for some strange reason you do think the world revolves around you and that everyone owes you something then we have some work to do. I would suggest therapy or maybe volunteering at a shelter.

The one thing that has been etched into my brain this year is that you have only ONE life. We are not cats, we are people. My nephew passed away back in March and I have been struggling deeply with this. I have felt all sorts of emotions. It really has made me very aware that every day is a gift from God. We cannot allow the monotony of life hinder us from being the very best person we can be. Life shouldn't be lived frivolously. It saddens me to see other people living like life is no big freaking deal. Do you not know that you have something very special to offer in this life. God created you. He created you, he loves you, he thinks about you all the time and all you can think about is yourself. For goodness sake think about someone else for a change. Do not be satisfied with yourself and where you are at this moment. You can ALWAYS do better and be a better person.

“Encourage everyone you meet with a smile or compliment. Make them feel better when you leave their presence and they will always be glad to see you coming.”
Joyce Meyer

That's all you have to do. Be an encouragement to someone else. Then you will realize that life is more than living for yourself. Once you start, it will be easier to see the good in people and even yourself. Don't ever be satisfied, always want to do better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Deal With Disappointment

Everyday is a New Day

Project 33: 33 Random Acts of Kindness for my 33rd Birthday